Sunday, October 7, 2012

Freaking Amazing Lasagna Soup!

Lately I have become a bit of a Pinterest addict...I usually try a couple of new recipes off of there every week.  I found this  http://www.afarmgirlsdabbles.com/2011/03/24/lasagna-soup/  recipe on there for lasagna soup (I know, right?) that looked fabulous....but then I took it a few steps further.  I changed it up a bit, and the results were FREAKING AMAZING!  Remember my Freaking Amazing Lasagna recipe (also on this blog)?  Well, the soup I made today is the beautiful sister (not ugly step-sister) of that lasagna.  Here's what I did...thanks to www.afarmgirldabbles.com for the inspiration that led to this yummy recipe!!!

2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 huge tomatoes, diced (got them from my garden...if yours aren't huge, adjust number accordingly)
1 large onion, chopped up small

Saute all of the above (I do it in the same pot I am making the soup in, then add:

1 1/2 lb ground beef, drained (original recipe called for Italian sausage-didn't have any)
20 slices of pepperoni, cut in quarters (got that idea from my Freaking Awesome Lasagna recipe)
1 small can of tomato sauce
2 bay leaves (don't eat those...just seasoning)
7 cups chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
handful shredded mozzarrella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. dried basil

Simmer on medium low for a couple of hours.  Season to taste with a little garlic salt.

A half an hour before we were ready to eat I added broken up lasagna noodles (probably about 4 or 5 lasagna noodles worth).  Cook for about 30 minutes on medium heat (maybe less time...just til noodles al dente).  Serve and garnish with a little extra mozzarella cheese.

PS...Thanks to my former roommate and all-around BFF, Becky, for her Freaking Amazing Lasagna recipe which inspired me to put pepperoni in this yummy soup!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment